Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Who is your Sports Hero? JR42

What is a hero? Someone who drives us, inspires us and motivates us? Where are our heroes? In our schools, on TV, in movies or right here at home? Can we have more than one hero? I find myself thinking about this often, most certainly two specific days a year...January 31st, Jackie Robinson's birthday and April 15th, the day we celebrate Jackie Robinson Day across the country at MLB parks and stadiums. My mom is a hero, my track coach, Andy Roberts, at Syracuse is a hero and my uncle Rick is a hero. All of these people have touched my life personally in some way or another. Unfortunately, I never met JR42. He was out of baseball and the public spotlight when I was just old enough to understand his story. He died the year I went to my first Dodger game. But, lucky for me I at least got to hear his story. I hope other kids had and have that chance. I didn't know Mr. Robinson. He knew not of me, or the thousands of other kids from my generation who might have looked up to him. Who is your hero? Do you have more than one hero? When do you think of that person? Are you someone's hero? I sure hope I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment