Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My heart touched by a Marathon...

Wow, I've announced professional, college summer league, and collegiate baseball for nearly 30 years. I've announced A-League Soccer in Seattle. I've announced Semi-Pro Football in Syracuse, NY. I have announced awards ceremonies for The SLO County Special Olympics. I have done bike races, fun runs, roller derby, competitive 5K's, fundraising walks and even a fashion show or two. But, never in my nearly 30 years in this business have I done a three day Marathon event. I've run them, but I have never announced a 26.2 mile Marathon or a 13.1 mile 1/2 Marathon. This weekend's festivities included a packet pick-up expo, a 5K, a kids 1-mile run, a kids dash, a half marathon and a marathon. It basically put our small beautiful California city on hold for hours and man was it worth it! I have never seen more determined athletes of every age, setting goals, pushing through the pain and making it happen even in difficult weather conditions. The rain on Saturday didn't stop anybody running in the 5K, 1-mile or kids dash. I was competing in a personal marathon myself, challenging my vocal cords for 10+ hours on Friday, 15+ hours on Saturday and 9+ hours on Sunday, and it was awesome! The faces of the competitors before, during and after their races inspired me to push through my own exhaustion. Watching the teams compete together, waiting at the finish line for their teammates was so cool! Seeing the Team for Riley of over 70 people running, walking, and crying all in memory of teenager Riley O'Donnell who died in February of 2014. They battled tears and sadness all weekend long. But, it was healing for me and warmed my heart as I remembered my family's loss, my 11 year old nephew Tanner less than two years ago. No matter what they ran for, no matter who they ran for, folks of all ages kept me and my voice going and alive for the 35+ hour marathon. Here's to next year, hours and hours on the microphone at the 5th Anniversary of the SLO Marathon & 1/2 Marathon. Kudos, congrats, good on you. Without the runners and walkers, I may not have made it all the way through my own finish line at 5pm Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment