Monday, August 3, 2015

Women in Sports, 2015...

What a month for celebration, Girls DO Sports & Girls TALK Sports!!! It started with the Women's World Cup Championship... Then the Serena Slam... Then Becky Hammon Coaches the NBA's San Antonio Spurs Summer League team to a Championship... Then Jen Welter got hired by the Arizona Cardinals as a pre-season Inside Linebacker Coach... Then Nancy Lieberman was hired by George Karl and the Sacramento Kings as an Assistant Coach... Then Ronda Rouseys MMA fight was what everyone in sports radio was talking about... Then Inbee Park wins the British Open, her fourth major on the LPGA Tour... Early in the spring the NFL hired Sarah Thomas as its first permanent referee/official. I want to say "it's about time." But, that wouldn't be fair, instead it seems like it's happening at the exact right time. I have been waiting on this for years. I started in this business in 1988 and my mother has always said I was ahead of my time. I disagree, I think I started at the exact right time. The growth and movement is slow, for sure. But, look at the civil rights movement, it started in the 1950's. And now in 2015, people of color are still NOT always free. Things move slowly in our country. I may have been one of the firsts, but, I'm not sure women truly have really even broken through in sports? In sports TV...maybe, in soccer...maybe, in tennis...maybe, in golf...maybe. But unfortunately, I may not be alive to see complete growth. I may not be alive to see a woman do play by play for Monday Night Football, but if I am, I want it to be ME! I may not be alive to see a woman as successful in sports radio as Jim Rome or Mike & the Mad Dog. But, if I am, I want it to be ME! Racial barriers are real, gender barriers are real...not gonna stop me! If I am ever called a pioneer, I'll know I've earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment